Okay dudes, as if battling breakouts weren’t enough, you have to think about shaving correctly too?!
When you’re trying to get clear, it’s important to be as kind to your face as possible, especially when it comes to that manly facial hair of yours. Think of it this way: with each pass of a razor can come irritation, potential for ingrown hairs, and the possible spread of bacteria.
When you shave you can cut into an acne lesion. The cut forces white blood cells to come to the rescue, causing more inflammation. Then the nick can spread bacteria throughout your face, further aggravating your acne.
A clean close shave is overrated! “Close Shave” razors use multiple blades to pull the hair up before cutting it. When the hair is released, it springs back down below the surface of the skin, giving you that seemingly smooth shave. Unfortunately, that smoothness does not last long! This method often ends with unsightly ingrown hairs. Electric rotary razors are no better, as they cut the hairs every which way—a guarantee that you’ll experience lots of post-shave bumps.
Bottom line? It may be time to reconsider your grooming regimen. Check out our shaving tips or forget the razor and boast that new beard!
- DO pre-shave! Soften those bristles. Use lukewarm water or a pre-shave soap to prep your beard for a smoother shave. Our Ultra Gentle Cleanser is great for this.
- DO shave that stubble slowly! Shaving with slow short strokes that overlap an 1.5” eliminates the need to shave over an area more than once.
- DO let the razor do the work. Heavier single blade razors like Merkur Heavy Duty Classic take the pressure off your hands and let the weight do the talking. Less skin scrapping and more of an efficient shave.
- DO use a single edge, disposable razor with our recommended Acne Wash, Mandelic Wash, or Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel. Or use a sanitized non rotary electric shaver, T-edger or clippers.
- DO use a post-shave moisturizer to promote hydration and reduce irritation. Our Hydrabalance and Clearderma moisturizer are perfect for post-shave!
- DO use non-comedogenic products for shaving and check the ingredients for pore cloggers!
- DO blot your face dry with a soft towel. If a scrub was recommended for your skin care routine, let the scrubbing granules do the work. No extra muscle needed!
- DO keep your blades sharp! Dull blades will only irritate and nick your skin. Change your razor blades regularly. Replace your clipper or t-edger blades every 3-4 months.
- DON’T shave upward, against the grain, or over the same area multiple times to try and get a closer shave.
- DON’T use multiple blade razors. “Close shaving” razors that cut the hair beneath the surface of your skin can cause ingrown hairs!
- DON’T use a rotary shaver. Cutting hairs in all directions can cause ingrown hairs.
- DON’T try to rub or scrub your shaving blues away! It will just add to irritation and/or redness.
- DON’T use disposable blades more than twice. Soak them in alcohol for 2-3 minutes before a shave.
- DON’T forget to clean your razors, clippers, and/or T-edger blades and all accessories before and after shaving. Sanitizing cleaners are available at all beauty supply stores. Keep an eye out during your visits to the barbershop and make sure they’re holding up their end of the sanitary bargain.
- DON’T share your shaving implements with anyone!
- DON’T tweeze ingrown hairs! They will come back with a vengeance! They get trapped under the skin and will become ingrown again and again.
Take a look at our recommend products for your shaving routine.
Ultra Gentle Cleanser
A mild & gentle, sulfate- and paraben-free cleansing gel. Excellent for the most sensitive skin types and anyone prone to eczema.
Hydrabalance is a water-based hydrator that can be safely used under Acne Med. Along with antioxidant and antibacterial properties, it also helps to reduce oily shine.
Clearderma is a soothing moisturizer that has antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Already tried everything to clear your acne? Face Reality Acne Clinic has a clear-skin system that will have your acne under control in about three to four months, depending on your type of acne. We combine the power of clinical-grade products that are customized for your type of acne, with a series of bi-monthly treatments. We also teach you about other aggravating factors that make you break out – foods, medications, cosmetics, stress, and common ingredients in skin care formulations that might be clogging your pores (even professional and prescription products). Become a client today and get full access to our full line of products recommend just for you.
© 2012-2017 Face Reality Acne Clinic